Andrew C. McGibbon
Website and Interactive Communications Manager
- 18 years as a successful interactive producer/manager.
- 10 years experience as a theatrical producer, general manager, and AEA Stage Manager.
- Built a Joomla!-based website as an outlet for my critical analysis of New York theatre. The site’s traffic has grown to reach peaks of 15,000-20,000 visitors per month;
- Established revenue-generating relationships to leverage site traffic and content. This was done with content syndication through Newstex, banner advertising through Google Adsense and theatre ticket sales through Telecharge;
- Written more than 150 Broadway and off-Broadway reviews;
- Generated revenue through the repurposing of written reviews into video reviews for the Broadway Channel for use on JetBlue in-flight entertainment, New York City hotel rooms and on-demand cable.
- I have been the owner of all interactive projects for Jazz at Lincoln Center. That has included overseeing, and moving forward, the company’s transition to a new Joomla!-based website. I managed this project from concept to completion, reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Executive Director and an internal steering committee made up of directors. This new system will result in increased productivity by giving content ownership to individual departments.
- Coordinated with the Director and Assistant Director of Marketing on content strategies and planning in support of the organization’s various programs;
- Oversaw the development of interactive solutions in support of educational, marketing, booking, PR and development initiatives. These systems involved moving from a paper environment to a more efficient digital one;
- Developed reports utilizing Google Analytics for appropriate stake-holders allowing them to better understand the response to individual initiatives and the efficacy of the site in channeling ticket sales, class registrations and donations;
- Aided in the integration of the Tessitura ticketing system into the website, streamlining the ticketing process and allowing for the online purchase of educational events in real time, a first for the institution;
- Evaluated, implemented and managed the transition from email marketing service provider Patron Mail to Constant Contact, providing for more efficient management of the organization’s extensive use of email campaigns;
- Implemented the Miva Merchant shopping cart system as an interim solution for the purchasing of educational and development programs;
- Produced live webcasts from Jazz at Lincoln Center venues in New York City and Doha utilizing LiveStream and as a content partner with YouTube.
- Implemented and oversaw social networking initiatives including Facebook, Twitter and FourSquare; in conjunction with the marketing department; and
- Maintained iTunes podcasts and the company’s YouTube channel.
- Produced the website and red carpet webcast for The Tony Awards. This involved creating seasonal concepts and budgets and presenting them to the producing organizations (The American Theatre Wing and The Broadway League) for approval. Each season was brought in under budget.;
- Coordinated a team of 30 technical, marketing and editorial personnel and was a liaison with the television and event producers to create a common look and feel between the on-air design and the interactive design;
- Identified, structured, negotiated and closed strategic, marketing and operational partnerships resulting in year-over-year traffic growth in excess of 100% each year.
- Produced additional video assets like “Road to the Tonys” infotainment segments, nominee and winner video interviews and an online historical archive of over 80 interviews with past Tony Award winners about their Tony Memories. This content aided in the appeal and modernity of the site and at the same time built a library of assets for the organization.
1999 - 2001
New York, NY
Executive Director of Special Projects
- Coordinated the design, implementation and management of a database and back-end user interface for a national theatrical listings directory;
- Successfully developed strategic and operational partnerships to drive traffic, increase revenue and build brand awareness (resulted in a 300% increase in traffic during my tenure);
- Designed, implemented and managed a membership ticketing discount program.
1995 - 1999
Playbill On-Line (www.playbill.com)
New York, NY
- Developed and managed the website from initial concept to 4 million+ page views per month;
- Managed the redevelopment of a large data rich website at a time when dynamic websites were in their infancy;
- Managed server administration, system backups, RFP creation, software training, help desk and hardware, peripheral and network system purchasing and upgrades;
- Developed proposals for, and made pitches to major magazine and online advertisers in an effort to secure added revenue for the company;
- Produced high-profile live online events such as backstage coverage of the Tony Awards, Broadway show openings and celebrity chats and a daily news program distributed as part of Real Networks content network.
- Coordinated the development of the first online ticketing system for Broadway shows (in coordination with Tele-charge and The Shubert Organization); and
- Developed a membership based affinity program to help Broadway producers market their productions. This included the creation, implementation and analysis of membership surveys to provide producers with pertinent demographic information.
New York, NY
- Founded the first web portal dedicated to live theatre. Site was purchased by Playbill Magazine and became Playbill On-Line.
McGibbon & Levy Associates
New York, NY
Theatrical General Manager
- Provided general management services to off-Broadway theatre companies and productions, including creation of production budgets, contract negotiations for staff and facilities, hiring production staff and designers, overseeing production load-in/out, box office reporting, and payroll. Clients included Intar and Jewish Repertory Theatres; and
- Executive produced the off-Broadway productions of Trophies and Sharon (a new musical written and directed by Geraldine Fitzgerald).
Heritage Artists at Cohoes Music Hall - Cohoes, New York
- General Manager for this regional Equity theatre. Position entailed seasonal and capital campaign budgeting, oversight of finance, development, and marketing.
AEA Stage Manager
- Equity stage manager for theatrical productions. Theatres worked for included: Paper Mill Playhouse, Theatre-by-the-Sea, Heritage Artists at the Cohoes Music Hall, Chamber Theatre of Boston, New London Barn Playhouse, Mt. Washington Valley Theatre Company. Tours include: Side by Side by Sondheim (Rob Marshall, Director) and Symphonic Sondheim.
American Academy of Dramatic Arts – New York, NY
Acting - 1982-1983
Cittone Institute - Mahwah, NJ
Web Development – Certificate Program - 2001-2002
1989 – Present – Member Actors’ Equity Association
2009 – Present – Member American Theatre Critics Association
2009 – Present – Member Independent Theatre Bloggers Association
Experience using the Tessitura ticketing system and Miva Merchant shopping cart system.
Extensive use of interactive tools such as:
- Social media platforms Facebook and Twitter;
- Adobe CS6 (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash);
- Pinnacle Studio and Avid Studio for video editing (light experience with Adobe Premiere);
- Joomla CMS (versions 1.5 and 2.5);
- Email marketing tools such as Constant Contact, MailChimp and WordFly;
- Affiliate programs such as Amazon, BuyAt, Commission Junction, and ClickBank;
- Advertising and content syndication programs such as AdSense and Newstex; and
- Online analytics programs such as Google Analytics and Woopra.